Tuesday 28 June 2011

Overheard: Priorities Grandad!

Hello.

It feels like forever since I blogged. But I guess that's what happens when you schedule posts in advance! But I'm here, right now, I'm not in advance-ahead of myself, not projecting in to the future ... in fact ... bear with me while I hop backwards in time one week so I can share my latest 'overheard'.

Last week I was in a countryside town tea shop with a couple of friends. On the next table there was a Grandfather with his 7/8 year old granddaughter having tea and toasties after school. He was the perfect countryside gent complete with white hair and tweed jacket. She was an implausibly eloquent [ie. posh] little thing still looking impeccable in her uniform after a day at school.

I couldn't hear much of what they said [my friends and I were discussing the bargain books we'd just found and how much fun you can have with a piece of string ... but what I did hear .... was this:

Granddaughter: When I grow up I'm going to marry a rich farmer.

Grandfather: Well, can't it be anyone? It doesn't have to be a farmer does it?

[Note how he didn't question the need for the husband to be rich!]

Granddaughter: Yes Granddad! I want horsies!
You've got to admire a girl who knows what she wants!

Their conversation then moved on with the Grandfather telling her about how the 'big white house' near where she lived was "...on the market for £3 million ...".

So tell me ... did you ever have conversations about multi-million pound property deals when you were 8?

Because, maybe I'm just geting forgetful in my old age but ...  I can't recall any ...

Julie :-)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overheard: Barnard Castle tea room June 23rd 2011.
Photo: taken [by me] in York August 2010.

7 comments:

  1. what a great overheard. :) a different world indeed

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure I ever discussed property (at least not beyond plans for redecorating the doll's house), but apparently I did once advise my mother that should I ever get married, I was going to have Handel's The Arrival of the Queen of Sheba played as I hoiked up the aisle, rather than the boring old wedding march.

    Which might explain why I am still (in your own splendid words) living over the brush all these years later.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wouldn't it be wonderful to know what happens!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do remember my Mum laughing at me when I said I wanted to go to Wet n Wild for my honeymoon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL that just made me laugh, i can't remember having conversations about £3 million houses when i was that age too - your overheard series is brilliant xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't at that age, but my kids do now. We love talking about houses :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't remember any specific conversations but whenever we went to the dentists my mum would show us pictures of mansions that she liked in the magazines (all they had were housing magazines that were unaffordable - the houses, not the magazines.)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment, asking me a question, sharing your own story or just randomly saying hello.