Friday 13 April 2012

Art Journaling: Collaged Characters [3]

Hi, hi.

If you've been reading me all week you'll know that I created this week's prompt [available as a pdf download] for the for UKScrappers 'Art Journey' feature, and here's the 3rd page I made to illustrate the idea of 'Collaged Characters':
Once I'd decided that I was going to focus on discussing ways to customise body parts to create your own characters with the prompt, I sifted through my journals and discovered that I swap heads and bodies a lot! [Not me personally you understand ... in my art journaling ... ].

And for this page I took my scissors to the head of a little lamb:
I know on the Art Journey forum there's been some discussion about where to look for interesting images to cut up. Maybe I ought to do a post dedicated to just this topic sometime ... but for now, here's a run down of what's on this particular page:

There are no two elements taken from the same original source image here:
  • the lamb came from a Barker & Stonehouse furniture catalogue from a feature on wool carpets;
  • the dress is from an Oilily children's clothing catalogue;
  • and the arms and legs are from old Elle fashion magazines;
  • the 'Important facts for you to know' wording was cut from a page of 1950s book showing how to wire up something elctrical;
  • 'dress' is cut from a 'Collection's Elements' brand of alpha sheets;
  • and the other words came from supplements + junk mail which fell out of the Guardian newspaper.
It's another thing to love about this style of art journaling ... there really is a wealth of free resources right there under our noses, seeking us out, every day:
  • whether it's dropping through our letterboxes;
  • slotted inside our magazines;
  • thrust into our hands as we stroll through shopping malls;
  • marked with 'Please take one' ... and more ...
 It's perfect if you're creating on a budget and/or if you take your inspiration from the materials at hand, like I do.

-------------------------------------

Thanks for swinging by today.  Am thinking I need to make samples with my Etsy kits ... but that means taking time away from making Etsy kits to make somthign with Etsy kits ... you see my problem here! I'm considering some sort of Guest Designer might be a nice way around this ... so I'm going to have to mull it over.

Anyway ... I'm sure I'll be back soon with something, sometime. So I'll see you when I do.

Julie :-)

8 comments:

  1. Loved these posts Julie...I have only dabbled in art journaling but need to give it some more serious time! Also love Your Etsy kits they are fabby!!
    Take care
    Kirsti xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Must pop and put my sheeps head on ! Very interesting tips Julie !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving the idea of you swapping heads and bodies on a daily basis lol

    Loving these articles and loving the fact that this can be done on a budget and that your images are not all coming from fancy, expensive and glossy publications :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have answered my question on the previous post with this post! I see you get your inspiration from all around you and what's to hand. I think I get my inspiration from you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another inspiring page and great memory joggers for useful images. I'd love a post on this: where to find them, how to store them - do you have them all in a big box you riffle through, or are they catalogued somewhere according to theme?

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely page - you always make it look so effortless! will step up and guest design for you if you like (completely tongue in cheek, LOL!!!!!!)...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoyed this series Julie, Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really appreciate your post and you explain each and every point very well.Thanks for sharing this information.And I'll love to read your next post too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment, asking me a question, sharing your own story or just randomly saying hello.